Tell me 'bout it!!

This is a blog. A what? A blog. A what? A blog. Oh a blog! (This used to be one of my favorite restaurant games) I love this blog, because I started it a long time ago. AND although I haven't updated it frequently at certain times, it shows parts of my life's happenings over many years... and I LOVE that. Thanks for visiting and leave me a comment or some evidence that you stopped by!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Turnpike Left Lane Drivers illegal

I found this article on the Kansas Turnpike News(ksturnpike.com) and thought it was cool. I knew it was polite and the rules of the road, but I didn't know it was illegal. Here's the article!

Drive right except to pass
A new Kansas law made lingering in the left lane illegal effectiveJuly 1, 2009. The law makes driving in the left lane of a multi-lane rural highway illegal unless you are passing another vehicle, exiting the highway or are directed by official traffic control devices. One exception to this law is KTA maintenance vehicles while performing official maintenance tasks."The intent behind this law is to keep traffic moving and decrease incidents of road rage for those stuck behind someone in the lefthand lane," said Kansas Highway Patrol Troop G Commander, Capt. John Walters.This new law pertains to rural areas of highways like the Turnpike and does not include parts of the Turnpike that are inside city limits such as Wichita, Topeka and Lawrence. Where the Turnpike is three lanes wide in each direction between Topeka and Lecompton on I-70, this law applies to the far left lane.The "Move It" law also went into effect July 1. This law mandates that drivers of vehicles involved in non-injury crashes on highways or Interstates like the Turnpike move vehicles out of the lane of traffic and into a safe location such as the shoulder or nearest exit."This helps keep crash victims safe from traffic and prevents traffic from coming to a complete stop in the middle of the road, which is very dangerous," Walters said.If vehicles are not driveable, contact law enforcement immediately.Other reasons law enforcement must be contact include injuries; alcohol or drugs are involved; damage in excess of $1,000; no proof of insurance; or if one of the drivers leaves the scene.Motorists will be issued warnings for violating the new law until July 1, 2010. After that time, officers will begin ticketing motorists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home